Thursday, November 2, 2017

Orchids at work

Orchids at work
Hi again! This Summer (and Fall) have been an incredibly busy time for me. I finally finished graduate school (woo-hoo!), and then proceeded to move three times in three months (not recommended).  The blog posts fell by the wayside while that was going on, but now I am ready to start writing and posting again.  This summer I had the great opportunity to meet and speak at the Long Island Orchid Society, who are some incredibly friendly and knowledgeable orchid enthusiasts.  I picked up some new plants, and I look forward to sharing their flowers you.

For the past month, my orchid terrarium went into storage, while my orchids traveled to occupy my workspace. The change in environment worked better for some of my plants than for others.  The orchids get a lot of natural light from the North-facing window.  So much, in fact, that I burned a few of my phals when I had placed them too close to the glass.  Also the air is much drier here than in my terrarium at home-- I'm watering most of my plants multiple times a week.  
Fresh growth on Dendrobium Burana Sundae
Some of my orchids have really thrived with the change.  Dendrobium Burana Sundae is rapidly growing new leaves.  I've had this orchid for 4 years now, and had no luck in getting it to bloom for me.  Since it seems to be growing so well at my workspace, I think I will be keeping it here even after the rest of the flowers move home with me next month.

New spike on Ctt Jewel Box 'Scheherazade'
 Another orchid that is thriving in the new environment is my Cattlianthe Jewel Box 'Scheherazade'  This orchid last flowered for me in 2012, and for the first time in 5 years I am seeing the promise of a flower spike forming!

On the other hand, my reliable Phals need to get back to my terrarium as soon as it is ready again.  This is the time of year when the drop in temperatures usually produces a burst of new flower spikes.  But my workplace turns on the heating in the winter, so the phals haven't gotten their signal to start blooming.  

I also have a new Restrepia orchid which has been blooming for me all summer, which I look forward to sharing as soon as its next bloom matures. Be back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment