Saturday, December 2, 2017

Orchids of the DC Botanic Garden

United States Botanic Garden
In November I traveled to Washington DC for work.  So, of course, on my last day in town, I went to see the Conservatory at the United States Botanic Garden looking for orchids to photograph.  Built in 1867, the Conservatory offers free entrance, and features models of landmarks from around the capital city, amid a lush greenhouse.


Where are the orchids?
I walked around the greenhouse, and explored the elevated walkways looking for orchid flowers.  At first I was worried that I would be leaving empty-handed. But as I walked deeper into the greenhouse, I started finding specimen sized orchids. And then I came to the orchid room.
Orchids blooming at the US Botanic Garden
Although a relatively small space, this room had nearly a 100 different species and hybrids of orchids beautifully blooming on display. I saw more paphs and phrags than ever before.  In fact, there were so many different varieties of certain orchids, that I will be saving them for a future post.  But for now, check out some of these beautiful orchid flowers!

Angraecum eburneum var. giryamae 'Penn Valley' specimen
Angraecum eburneum var. giryamae 'Penn Valley' closeup
Brasiliorchis picta 
Brasiliorchis picta closeup
Bratonia Charles M. Fitch 'Izumi'
Calanthe Rozel 'Mendenhall' x Calanthe Rozel 'Newberry'
Cattleya Eleanor Roosevelt
Coelogyne rochussenii
Coelogyne rochussenii closeup
Coelogyne trinervis
Cymbidium Cherry Cola
Cymbidium Milton Carpenter 'Everglades Gold'
Epicatanthe Volcano Trick 'Orange Fire'
Fredclarkeara After Dark 'SVO'
Fredclarkeara After Dark 'SVO' closeup
Laelia rubescens
Laelia rubescens closeup
Mesadenella cuspidata
Mesadenella cuspidata closeup
Mormolyca ringens
Oncidium Sunlight 'Hilo Honey'
Rhyncholaeliocattleya Hausermann's Holiday 'Christmas'
Vanda Pachara Delight 'Pachara'
Vanda Sonpon
purple Vanda hybrid
Vandachostylis Colmarie 'Carmella'
Vandachostylis Colmarie 'Carmella' closeup
Zygopetalum maculatum
Zygopetalum maculatum closeup
And this is not everything! I had to leave out all the bulbophyllums, dendrobiums, paphiopedilums, and phragmipediums, because each one of those categories could easily be a new post the size of this one.  I have never seen such variety of orchids in one place.  Anyone who loves these beautiful flowers should visit the US Botanic Garden if they get the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment